Saturday, July 01, 2006

Implementing Classroom Strategies/Reluctant Disciplinarian Blog

Well, I read the Reluctant Disciplinarian becuase I got lucky and got in with Ben before they realized they couldn't give it out anymore. It's basically a guy who had a disastrous first year of teaching explaining where his trouble was and how he hopes we can avoid it. A ton of the advice is the same as what we've been getting, and some of it just makes me REALLY HOPE that I can somehow avert disaster and get off to a better start than he did, but some of it is good advice that we haven't gotten yet and some of it bears repeating.

My favorite section was called "Being a REAL teacher." His list goes as follows:
1) Real teachers dress the part
2) Real teachers give a "rules" speech
3) Real teachers are decisive
4) Real teachers use textbooks (quiz -- make them WANT to learn!)
5) Real teachers are direct and to the point

Obviously, not all of these work for everyone (Mr. Roth, for example, has apparently never felt bound by rule number one, and with no overtly detrimental consequences, but, he also has a gigantic beard that probably convinces the students that he's old enough to be teaching them. Many of us have not this luxury.)

Basically, I think it's a trust issue (The author, Mr. Rubenstein, like the much-loved ms. monroe, also notes that every piece of advice is good, you just have to figure out what it means to you. I'm taking this liberty with the Real Teacher section of RD). So, trust. The kids want to learn. They want to trust you. They have had tons of experiences that lead them to understand that not all teachers are to be trusted, so at least at first you have to come across as a REAL, SERIOUS, and COMPETENT teacher.

Dressing the part: It's about looking professional, it's about having that certificate up on the wall, it's about letting them know that you are qualified to do your job and that you intend on taking it (and, by implication, them) seriously.

Giving a "Rules" speech: I doubt that at this point any of us have retained enough new-agey they-need-freedom ideas to have any questions about this one. GIVE A RULES SPEECH. be clear, be consistent, and BE FIRM.

Being Decisive: This is my favorite, because it's the hardest for me to get a good handle on. I think, again, it's about trust. You have to look confident. We all ARE competent, but we have to convince every kid in our room of that before they're gonna believe it. Also, it makes the class more organized and easier to handle if they know EXACTLY what to do. Will I still see your name if it's on the "wrong" side of the paper? Yes. Will I take points off, yes.
This seems dumb to me, on some level, because, it doesn't really matter. But I think it's important because it makes them not only feel like you're confident, but it makes them feel confident too. They know exactly what they need to do. It's not about nitpicky requirements, it's actually on some level about creating a safe space. And in times when there's not a right decision, make one and stick to your guns. Ultimately it will make your kids feel safer, and more confient in themselves. At least that's how I see it.

Using Textbooks: Again, it's a confidence issue. Before they trust you, they have to believe that they're learning, and textbooks are one clear indicator of that for them. Mr. Rubenstein had another similar idea that makes a lot of sense to me too. For the first week of school, his goal is to teach them something (in the content area of course) so well and SO MUCH that almost ALL of them actually know it. He gives them a quiz, and they all do well, and voila, they are convinced (at least momentarily) that HE is a good teacher. How far this will carry, I don't know, but it can't hurt to get off to a good start.

Being Direct and to the Point: I could take this one to heart as well. Mr. Rubentsein says, "Teachers have only a certain number of words they can say in the year before their classes tune out. New teachers usually use them up in the first month." I don't think this goes for years so much as class periods, but who knows, mabey both. Point being, don't use superfluous words. I do this, I know, when I'm nervous or when I feel a need to fill space, but if you want them to pay attention to everything you say, then DON'T SAY ANYTHING THAT THEY DON'T NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO. This follows perfectly logically, but it's a little hard to apply sometimes. Also, get comfortable with silence. Flip side.

Final Thoughts:
Mr. Rubenstein says, "Like your students." And why not.

My other favorite piece of advice in the book is to not let your kids complain to you about other teachers, and not just in a let's-not-gossip way, but in a much more proactive sense. Okay, so they learned from you last semester, but they just can't learn with this new person, this new person doesn't explain anything, and doesn't even give reading assignments.
I loved his responses to this. Well did she tell you NOT to read the textbook? Or, when they said that the new lady didn't explain anything "Well you didn't pay attention when I was explaining things anyway" And the kid agreed.
This is awesome because it puts the responsibility on THEM. Help them if they really don't undrestand something, but don't allow them any excuses not to learn.
Flip Side: Your class is not the problem. All of these kids want to succeed. We are facilitators.

2 Comments:

Blogger Monroe said...

Wonderful post! I'm glad you found something valuable in the book.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Kunai-Gurl said...

Very thoughtful and, I think, will be very helpful. Thank you.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home