Saturday, July 22, 2006

training

they say we're the best-prepared class of MTC-ers ever. and we have four hundred people who've done it before us, and they were all just as scared as us. "High expectations," germain said at the banquet last night. ("Are you a vegetarian?" -- that's what Dr. Mullins said. But that's because I made Elena take me to Taco Bell after she finally got out of class even though I knew we had the banquet coming up because I just knew that I'd die if I didn't eat RIGHT AWAY and then I wasn't hungry for dinner. So I didn't eat my roast beef. Dr. Mullins is awesome.)

On the most recent of ben's notorious evals we had to rate whether or not we feel "prepared" for the upcoming year. I think that's a little crazy. I mean, sure summer school was great prep, but, we're not in our districts yet, some of us don't even have classrooms yet, or textbooks, not to mention procedures, rules, rewards, a syllabus, a plan for contacting parents ... (yes, this was all on our CM presentations yesterday but that doesn't mean we're actually READY for it!) Then there's meeting people in our school, figuring out where things are, how to get things done, what forms we need and who we need to get them from, on and on and on and come on of COURSE we're not ready! But that doesn't mean we won't be. And it doesn't mean we can't do it.

Cause, despite that, this summer has been pretty remarkable. And I think what's going to be the best thing about it once we get to our districts is that we all have each other, and the 2nd years. Of course I can't speak for anybody else, but definitely one of the most valuable things about summer school for me is that we DID get to know at least some of the second years, that we got to watch them and spend time with them so now we have them to call on too in the upcoming year instead of just each other who are all new and confused and full of nervous and productive and misdirected and creative energies that ... well, we're not all quite sure what to do with just yet.

Stephen and I went down to our district Thursday, and it's kind of incredible that you walk in and then less than an hour and a flurry of papers later you walk out with a signed contract printed off one of the JPS Administrative offices computers, and, hey, you're a professional.

Welcome to the next phase of your life.
Here's hoping we enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home