Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Dake and Jave ...

Mr S INVARIABLY says this, completely unaware, each time he intends to discuss the illustrious careers of mr. roth and mr. molina. It made me laugh at first, but in an odd sort of way, it makes me think that something's sort of working. I mean, sure, they were there first, and sure, they're joined at the hip and dave assaulted jake's class with thirty irate math students demanding the return of their calculators and sure, they take crazy trips together, but could it be ... that something's there that wasn't there before?

Talked to Dave about this a lot when he took me to jackson (or, he talked about it a lot, or, whatever), but the idea was that instead of thinking of us, teacher corps, as people who come in for two years and leave, what he and jake are trying to do is to make a group that comes in and consistently brings energy and new ideas and hard workers to the staff, so that we WON'T be seen as the individuals who "leave" but as a group of people who are around to stay. So the more interchangeable we are, the better, sort of ...
anyway, so I think it's a cool idea and I want to get in on it. I'm busy as hell, but I WANT to start tutoring at elementary schools with Jake's kids, I WANT to start doing remediation with mine after school (god knows they need it), I'm kind of looking foward to meeting their parents, and I'm definitely planning on joining the ranks of "teachers that kids complain about for giving a lot of work" at Jim Hill.

And I'm not there yet, and I won't be for a while, and I know that, and that sucks, and I hate that for my kids because THEY'RE getting cheated beacuse I'M taking weeks and months of their time to figure out what I'm doing and that sucks. that sucks for both of us, but if i don't keep trying, and if i don't go in every day and face the music, and the idiotic administrative requirements, and the kids for crying out loud then i'll NEVER learn, and if I don't learn then I'll never be any good to them and this is where it starts. And everybody didn't start here, but everybody started somewhere, and if I want to be part of the movement, if I want to get in on all the good, amazing, inspiring things that are going on at this school then I have to start somewhere too. And that's all there is to it.

Starting here, starting now, and starting every morning when I look at the split and decide NOT to take I-20 East to Birmingham on my way to school ... and giving it the old college try.

1 Comments:

Blogger Monroe said...

Awesome!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home