Thursday, September 28, 2006

High Points

In lieu of our bi-weekly treasure chest ... just thought I'd share.

*In the last three weeks, I've had two days when I was a really good teacher. It's sure not an every day occurrence, but it can't happen again before it's happened once.

*Reggie Barnes says that I'm "captivating" (I guaranTEE you my students would vehemently disagree) and, more importantly, says I'm creating an environment in which my kids feel structured, comfortable, and understand that my expectation is for them to learn.

Ann told me this summer that my smile makes her want to learn (Ann's pretty cute). Anyway, Reggie Barnes said basically the same thing, about "projecting enthusiasm for teaching." If I got nothin else, at least they know I'm in it for the right reasons.

In other good news ... I gotta admit, they're kind of starting to grow on me. My first block was MAGNIFICENT today, I told them I was being evaluated on Tuesday (and bribed them with the promise of cookies for a good eval) and they were PRECIOUS, like they always participate and stuff (I know, I know, how lucky did I get with the IB kids) but they were SO CUTE, y'all, like winking at me behind his back and vying for participation points and humoring me when I made them re-raise their hands when they said "oooh!" at the same time, awwwww. :)

way to be, first block. Second block was good (I made my french kids make up signals for each new verb that we learned and they were so cute and creative, and I told two of the guys they'd get extra points for making me up a "conjugating-regular-er-verbs" song), and third block kind of sucked, but ... 8 weeks in, and on no sleep as usual ... 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

And I know that that's not good enough. Because I know that every child in that third block class deserves exactly as much as every child I have in any other class, and 2 out 3 doesn't do THEM any good. And, realistically, there are a lot of things I could be doing better. But I'm doing as much as I can and staying sane, and I'm improving. I'm getting it. slowly, certainly, but I'm making progress. And that's really about the most I could ask.

In other happy news ... the guys I roll with told me (and I quote) that I am going to be a BadA** one of these days. Rock on. My kids asked me why I had a bruise, I told them that I get beat up a couple hours a night a few times a week (gotta stop wearing those short-sleeved shirts). THIS is why I needed to be in Jackson (thank you, Ben). Cause that's the stuff that keeps me sane. yay for Jim Hill and getting lucky (I mean my PLACEMENT, y'all!) and getting just down and dirty with a bunch of guys who don't even KNOW my last name. ROCK ON.

Livin for today and may tomorrow never come, but if it does I'll be writing my last objective on the board right as the bell rings as usual. Back to the same old routine.

I just might could get used to this. ^_-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home